ICL Fertilizers' history begins in the early 20th century with the first efforts to extract minerals from the Dead Sea in Israel's South. After Israel's independence in 1948, the extraction of minerals from the Dead Sea carried on with the establishment of Dead Sea Works Ltd. as a state-owned company in the early fifties. During the same period, several other state-owned companies were created to extract minerals from the Negev Desert and transform them into chemical products.
Collecting potash at the Dead Sea - 1947
Rotem phosphate plant - 1954
- 1930 The Palestine Potash Company Ltd. is established. First plant at the north shore of the Dead Sea in Kalia.
- 1952 Dead Sea Works Ltd. is established as a state-owned company to extract potash and other minerals from the Dead Sea.
- 1952 Establishment of Negev Phosphates Ltd. as a state-owned company to exploit the phosphates reserves in the Negev Desert.
- 1977 Establishment of Rotem Fertilizers Ltd. to manufacture intermediates based on phosphate rock.
- 1982 Acquisition of a fertilizer plant in Amsterdam, Holland (ICL Fertilizers Europe C.V.)
- 1989 Merger of Rotem and ICL Fertilizers Europe C.V.
- 1991 The companies involved in the extraction and manufacture of phosphates were merged to create Rotem Amfert Negev Ltd.
- 1994 MKP Plant begins production
- 1998 Establishment of Iberpotash, in which DSW holds a 100% interest. Iberpotash was based on the acquisition of the Spanish state-owned potash company, Grupo Potasas.
- 1999 The Ofer Group purchased control of the Israel Corporation which controls ICL.
- 2000 Rotem Amfert Negev acquired a feed phosphate production unit in Turkey and started operating under the name of Rotem Turkey.
- 2001 Marketing Activities of DSW & Rotem Amfert Negev are unified to form ICL Fertilizers
- 2002 Acquisition of Cleveland Potash Ltd, a potash mining company in the UK.
- 2011 Acquisition of Scotts’ Global Professional of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, the world's largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products.