At the old workers camp site in Sdom there are now several abandoned huts and two dilapidated concrete structures - evidence of life that was there previously. Upon receipt of the British Mandate's concession for producing potash and bromine, the Israeli Potash Company was founded in January 1930, under the initiative of Moshe Novomiensky, and the factory was established in the northern part of the Dead Sea. With the expansion of the plant to the south of the Dead Sea in 1934, a workers' camp was built near the dock whose remains can be observed even today. During the good old times, hundreds of workers lived in the camp until 1948 - at which time the company's operations ceased due to the War of Independence.
The Council for the Rehabilitation of the Heritage Sites in collaboration with Dead Sea Works and the Ministry of Environmental Protection began the restoration and preservation work at the workers' camp of the Israeli potash company with the objective of transforming it into a tourist site which will perpetuate the historical story of the workers' camp - one of the magnificent settlement enterprises from the era before the establishment of the state of Israel. After the rehabilitation of the site, it is planned to open a visitors' center for the public. The center would illustrate the story of the construction and operation of the Israeli potash company and its follower - Dead Sea Works Ltd., established in 1952.
Presentation - Restoration of the old potash workers' camp